The Ultimate Holiday Movie Guide

by - December 15, 2022

 

A ton of you guys (not a single person) asked for this, so here it is. My ultimate holiday movie guide to getting you through the rest of the season!

 

This year, Ian and I set out to watch a minimum of 5 new holiday movies each week. Not only have we met that goal, but I think we’ve surpassed it! That’s why I feel somewhat qualified to present this guide.

 

Overall Favorite: Ghosts of Christmas Past

I am shocked that this Lifetime movie ended up being my favorite. It was a random Hulu recommendation, and I since loved the main actress when she was on Degrassi, I decided to give it a try. This movie is about an over-achieving video game designer who is notorious for ghosting people. She gets help from a co-worker, who may know more about the whole thing than she thinks, to right her wrongs all before Christmas Eve. There are twists and turns, pretty decent acting, and lots of holiday joy!

 

Overall Least Favorite: Mistletoe in Montana

What made this movie truly terrible is that the main theme of the movie, the two characters falling in love (spoiler alert), is so unbelievable it’s crazy to imagine it happening at all. Don’t get me wrong, I love melissa Joan Hart as much as the next, but believing that a hot, young, British guy would fall in love with this mundane middle-aged Montana ranch owner in under a week is just ridiculous. I regretfully made a couple of friends come over to watch this with me, and the only thing that felt more forced than making them stay through the whole thing was the “chemistry” between the characters.

 

Best New Horror: Christmas Bloody Christmas

This movie was a wild ride. It was so over-the-top and gory and hilarious and terrifying and sexy all wrapped up into one. This movie is truly the holiday gift that keeps on giving. Ian and I watched this after taking some edibles; it was truly an amazing and entertaining experience.

 

Best Vintage Horror: Black Christmas (1974)

This movie is an absolute horror classic. I’ve meant to watch the 2019 version for a few years now. Too bad the reviews are dismal at best.

 

Best Comeback: Falling for Christmas

Of course, I knew I’d love this movie. I mean, it’s the revival of Lindsay Lohan’s career! It didn’t just stop there, though. It pulled out a fun plot and a heart-warming overall vibe. Don’t skip this one!

 

Best Comedy: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Need I say more? If you still haven’t seen this movie at this point in your life, go watch it. Like, right now!

 

Best “Is It a Holiday Movie?”: Gremlins

This is a fight I will partake in until the day I die. Yes, this is a Christmas movie. So is Die Hard. FIGHT ME!

 

Best Nostalgia: A Charlie Brown Christmas

Just like with Christmas Vacation, need I say more?

 

Best Classic: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

I can pinpoint an exact moment in my childhood when I sat in the middle of my then-carpeted hallway playing with all of my Rudolph character toys and just felt absolute pure joy. Ah, the days before paying rent.

 

Best Non-Traditional: A California Christmas

Set during Christmas? Check. Over-the-top reminders that it’s indeed set during Christmas? Eh. Let’s just say, I forgot this was a holiday movie several times throughout watching it. But, it was a really good movie! Technically Christmas is in the name and it did mention the holiday throughout, so it counts, right? This is a good one for the scrooges in your life.

 

I’m so curious. What is your ultimate go-to movie for the holiday season? 

Did you watch one that you think I might like? 

Let me know!

 

Thanks for stopping by, 

- Allie

You May Also Like

1 Comments

I absolutely love each and every one of your comments!